Saturday, March 10, 2012

Life in Four Continents by Prakash Joshi

Since I work for a newspaper, I get all kinds of emails, including releases of new fiction and non-fiction books. Unfortunately, I can’t write about them because my newspaper is as far removed from the world of fiction as India is from a corruption-free society. The paper reports extensively on construction and infrastructure projects in India and the domestic and foreign investment that goes into
their build.

Never mind – my paper’s loss is my blog’s gain.

Yesterday, I received an email from iUniverse, a self-publishing imprint based in Bloomington, Indiana, USA, drawing my attention to Prakash Vinod Joshi’s new book Life in Four Continents where the author describes the lessons he learnt living in Asia, Africa, Europe, and North America. It’s a journey across four continents written with “a sense of humor often needed when everything else seems to go awry.”


“I am proud of my new country, Canada; proud of my heritage, Indian; proud of the country of my birth, Uganda,” writes Joshi, who tells readers of his “honest experiences touching the lives of several people across the globe wanting to help readers improve their lives and preserving the planet for the future generations to come.”

I can’t review the book since I have not read it but here is a small excerpt that came with the release.


“My single parenting days were most joyous and I would never trade them for anything else. I had now moved on my own with Ronak and Milan to our old home which was very close to my work, just two minutes away. Life became busy. It meant getting up early, around 5:00 a.m., getting ready, waking up the kids at six-thirty and doing a paper route. We would then come home, have breakfast and get them ready, pack their lunch, drop them at the babysitter who would drive them to nearby Parkcrest Elementary School at 9:00 a.m.” 

Life in Four Continents was written with a simple purpose, to give readers a new found sense of hope, and teach them to have a positive attitude towards life with the simple message of “Doing things the right way, the first time around, to avoid repeating mistakes, and to take advantage of other’s forgiveness.”

Prakash Vinod Joshi lives in Vancouver, Canada with his wife, Darshana. They have three children, Ronak, Tejaswini and Milan.

You can read more about Prakash Vinod Joshi at US-India Writing Station.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting and truly multicultural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how in our generation, and probably almost never before, people can have these kinds of broad experiences of dramatically different cultures and lifestyles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, I am sure it is. Prakash Joshi appears to have travelled widely across the world and his experiences reflect in his book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles, I agree. These days we hear and read about a lot of foreigners visiting India with the specific aim of studying Indian culture. Many of them go back and write about their experiences, both in books and across blogs.

    ReplyDelete